After the success of the Mi 10 series, Xiaomi announced the Xiaomi Mi 10T with somewhat similar features and a slightly lowered cost. The phone intended market was the South Asian countries which have cut-throat competition in the budget flagship segment.
While we saw the debut of the Samsung-made 108MP sensor on the Mi 10 series, we have the Mi 10T and 10T Pro here. The Mi 10T carries a 64Mp main sensor while the Pro model bags the much-touted 108MP sensor. Just like any other Xiaomi phone, you always have a choice to tinker with your phone to achieve its full potential. For this exact reason, we bring to you our guide on how to install TWRP custom recovery as well as rooting the phone.
But before jumping into the guide, let us explore the phone. The Xiaomi Mi 10T 5G is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 SoC, comes in a bunch of colors and memory configurations. It is also one of those handfuls of phones that have the new LPDDR5 RAM and UFS 3 spec storage. One of the highlighting features of this phone is the Adaptive-Sync display that automatically adjusts the refresh rate between 30Hz to 144Hz.
The distinguishing feature between the Mi 10 and Mi 10T is the LCD panel we get to see here. Apart from this, there’s a massive 5,000mAh battery that promises to juice the phone for two whole days of usage. To top that massive battery, Xiaomi supplies the phone with fast charging support and a fast-charging brick within the box.
What is TWRP recovery?
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project. It is an open-source and entirely GUI-based custom recovery for Android devices. The reason why it’s so popular is because of the fact that it allows Android users to enjoy fully touch-based UI and flash custom ROMs, MODs, Magisk, SuperSu, etc. There are further features like Full System backup that come in handy during these customization sessions.
EverythingXiaomi.com is not responsible for any kind of damage to data or devices while performing this task. Flashing a custom recovery voids the device’s warranty and might result in full data loss. You are proceeding at your own risk.
How To Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 10T
Before we start with the installation process, it is advised that you stick to the guide and follow the instructions line-by-line.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is charged above 60%.
- Back up your Data on any external media or perform a Nandroid backup.
- Download ADB and Fastboot Drivers on the PC/Laptop.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC
- Download and save twrp-3.4.0-3.img it to the Extracted folder of ADB – Fastboot drivers.
- Unlocked Bootloader on the Xiaomi Mi 10T
How To Install TWRP on Xiaomi Mi 10T
- You first need to have an unlocked bootloader on your Xiaomi Mi 10T, so if that’s not done, follow our guide for the same.
- Connect your phone to PC and look if the OEM Unlock is turned on from the developer settings.
- Extract ADB and Fastboot drivers in a folder and open the cmd or PowerShell by pressing the Shift key + Right-Clicking in the same folder.
- Now type the following command [adb reboot bootloader] to reboot the Xiaomi Mi 10T into the fastboot mode (Note: You might get a USB debugging permission on your smartphone, so accept the pop-up).
- Now place the twrp-3.4.0-3.img to the same folder where you have extracted the ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Type this [fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-3.img] command to flash the TWRP image you download.
- After the successful flashing, reboot the phone using the [fastboot reboot] command.
You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 10T. The thing to note here is that this is an unofficial TWRP build made by individual developers and the build has not been vetted by the TWRP team. So you can get some bugs upon installing it, and it is advised to take a full backup just in case things go sideways. Let us now flash the Magisk module to get root access on the phone.
How To Root Xiaomi Mi 10T
Before we start this, make sure you download the latest version of Magisk from here and place the file on to the internal storage of your phone.
- It’s always recommended that you take a full backup of the phone but if you’re doing this immediately after installing TWRP recovery, there is no need to make a separate backup.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP recovery by pressing the volume up and power at the same while the phone is being turned on.
- Now, Select “Install” from the TWRP and browse for the Magisk.zip file. Tap on it to select it.
- Now, “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Upon successful installation, select “Install” once again and locate the “no-verity-force-encrypt.zip” file. Tap it to select it.
- Again “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Reboot System from TWRP Recovery.
- With the first boot, you might see a Magisk app on your phone, this is how you will be able to check the root status and download and install Magisk Modules for your Xiaomi Mi 10T.
- If everything checks out till now, you should have root access on your phone.
- Just to double-check, you could install the Root Checker app from the play store which should reflect the root status.
You have successfully flashed a custom recovery and root on your Xiaomi Mi 10T and if everything is done correctly this process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes.