We saw Xiaomi announce the Mi 10T in the Indian market as a product engineered for India. The phone came in as a part of a series along with the Mi 10T Pro, with the difference of optics between the two.
While we saw the debut of the Samsung-made 108MP sensor on the Mi 10 series, we have the Mi 10T and 10T Pro here. The Mi 10T here carries a 64Mp main sensor while the Pro model bags the much-touted 108MP sensor. Xiaomi devices are no stranger to a bit of tinkering and for this exact reason, we bring to you our guide which is the basic step in this journey.
But before jumping into the guide, let us explore the phone. The Xiaomi Mi 10T 5G is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 SoC, comes in a bunch of colors and memory configurations. It is also one of those handfuls of phones that have the new LPDDR5 RAM and UFS 3 spec storage. One of the highlighting features of this phone is the Adaptive-Sync display that automatically adjusts the refresh rate between 30Hz to 144Hz.
The distinguishing feature between the Mi 10 and Mi 10T is the LCD panel we get to see here. Apart from this, there’s a massive 5,000mAh battery that promises to juice the phone for two whole days of usage. To top that massive battery, Xiaomi supplies the phone with fast charging support and a fast-charging brick within the box.
Let us understand what a bootloader is and the reason why Xiaomi opted for locking it.
Why is the Bootloader locked on Xiaomi phones?
Like with most OEMs the bootloader on the Xiaomi phones is a piece of code that restricts you from adding new code blocks to the OS. This is the first barrier that you need to cross, to start your journey with a custom ROM.
Xiaomi used to encourage people to tinker with their phones and the bootloaders came unlocked right from the factory but things aren’t the same now. Most of the Xiaomi phones sold in the grey market carry unofficial ROMs containing bloatware. To mitigate this, the easiest solution for the brand was to lock the bootloader.
The other perhaps is that locking the bootloaders helps in making sure that a custom ROM is not easily flashed onto the phone. Hence making it difficult to sell off these stolen phones.
Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi 10T
We would strongly recommend sticking to the instructions mentioned line by line, so you don’t end up with a bricked smartphone.
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot tools on Windows/Mac from here.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC from here.
- Download the latest Xiaomi Mi Unlock tool from here.
- You need Mi Account to get the authorization for bootloader unlocking, request that from here.
- Make sure the device is at least 60% charged.
- Backup all the important data as the process will fully reset the phone.
Procedure to Unlock Xiaomi Mi 10T Bootloader
- Enable Developer Mode by heading to the Settings > About phone and Tap the MIUI version 7 times to enable developer mode.
- Now, Enable OEM Unlocking by going to the Settings> Additional Settings > Developer Option.
- Agree to the Mi Unlock Status in Settings >Additional Settings > Developer Option > Agree.
- Move to the Mi Unlock Site and click the “Unlock Now” button.
- Now, log in with your Mi Account, and if you don’t have one, you can then Signup on the same page.
- Enter your mobile number for an OTP.
- You will have to wait for some time to get the application accepted. It may take up to 72 hours to get the authorization, so patience is the key.
- Once the application is approved, you will receive an OTP.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool and extract the files to a folder.
- Now, boot the phone into the fastboot mode – to do this turn off the phone and then press and hold Volume Down + Power button for a few seconds to boot the device safely into the fastboot mode.
- Connect the phone to the PC.
- Open the MiFlashUnlock from the folder that you extracted and log in with the same ID as on your Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and enter your mobile number and start the process.
- Once done, reboot it from Mi Unlock Tool.
If everything is done correctly this Unlocking process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes and you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of Xiaomi Mi 10T.