A while back we covered the steps to Install custom recovery and root Redmi Note 9 Pro and we will perhaps be doing the same for the Redmi Note 9 Pro Max.
Just for context Redmi Note 9 Pro Max is a phone that is solely aimed for the Indian market while the global Redmi Note 9 series just carries two phones. The main difference between the Redmi Note 9 Pro and 9 Pro Max is the optics, on Pro Max variant we get to see a 64MP main sensor as opposed to 48MP on 9 Pro.
The Note 9 Pro and Pro Max both received the MIUI 12 update a few weeks back and are now on track to get Android 11. For people who want some tinkering done to their phones, they should first have the Boot loaders unlocked for which we have a guide here and secondly they should have a custom recovery flashed with root access.
Lets us explore the Redmi 9 Pro Max first before jumping to the guide. The Redmi Note 9 Pro comes powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G processor and is available in a plethora of colours in the Indian market. The phone also comes in two memory configurations. There is a quad-rear camera setup with the main sensor being 64MP which is perhaps the main distinguishing feature between this and the regular Redmi Note 9 Pro.
Apart from this, you get to see both the phones sharing the same internals. We get the latest MIUI 12 build based on Android 11. A 5,020mAh battery to juice the phone and its massive FHD+ display upfront with a centre punch-hole for the selfie camera. To top all this, we have a fast charger bundled with the phone.
What is TWRP recovery?
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project. It is an open-source and entirely GUI based custom recovery for Android devices. The reason why it’s so popular is because of the fact that it allows Android users to enjoy fully touch-based UI and flash custom ROMs, MODs, Magisk, SuperSu, etc. There are further features like Full System backup that come in handy during these customization sessions.
EverythingXiaomi.com is not responsible for any kind of damage to data or device while performing this task. Flashing a custom recovery voids the device’s warranty and might result in full data loss. You are proceeding at your own risk.
Install TWRP on Redmi Note 9 Pro Max
Before we start with the installation process, it is advised that you stick to the guide and follow the instructions line-by-line.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is charged above 60%.
- Backup your Data on any external media or perform a Nandroid backup.
- Download ADB and Fastboot Drivers on the PC/Laptop.
- Download latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC
- Download and save twrp-3.4.0-0.img it to the Extracted folder of ADB – Fastboot drivers.
- You need to download the verification file as well from here.
- Unlocked Bootloader on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro Max
Procedure to install TWRP on Redmi Note 9 Pro Max
- You first need to have an unlocked bootloader on your Redmi Note 9 Pro, so if that’s not done, follow our guide here.
- Connect your phone to PC and look if the OEM Unlock is turned on from the developer settings.
- Extract ADB and Fastboot drivers in a folder and open the cmd or PowerShell by pressing Shift key + Right-Clicking in the same folder.
- Now type the following command [adb reboot bootloader] to reboot the Redmi Note 9 Pro Max into the fastboot mode (Note: You might get a USB debugging permission on your smartphone, so accept the pop-up).
- Now place the twrp-3.4.0-0.img to the same folder where you have extracted the ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Type this [fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-0.img] command to flash the TWRP image you download.
- After flashing the TWRP file, you need to also flash the vbmeta.img verification file. This file is needed to bypass the verification process as the Twrp is ported from a different Xiaomi smartphone.
- After the successful flashing, reboot the phone using the [fastboot reboot] command.
You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro Max. The thing to note here is that this is an unofficial TWRP build made by individual developers and the build has not been vetted by the TWRP team. So you can get some bugs upon installing it, so it is advised to take a full backup just in case things go sideways. Let us now flash the Magisk module to get root access on the phone.
Procedure to root Redmi Note 9 Pro Max
Before we start this, make sure you download the latest version of Magisk from here and place the file on to the internal storage of your phone.
- Its always recommended that you take a full backup of phone but if you’re doing this immediately after install TWRP recovery, there is no need to make a separate backup.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP recovery by pressing the volume up and power at the same while the phone is being turned on.
- Now, Select “Install” from the TWRP and browse for the Magisk.zip file. Tap on it to select it.
- Now, “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Upon successful installation, select “Install” once again and locate “no-verity-force-encrypt.zip” file. Tap it to select it.
- Again “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Reboot System from TWRP Recovery.
- With the first boot, you might see a Magisk app on your phone, this is how you will be able to check the root status and download and install Magisk Modules for your Redmi Note 9 Pro.
- If everything checks out till now, you should have root access on your phone.
- Just to double-check, you could install the Root Checker app from the playstore which should reflect the root status.
You have successfully flashed a custom recovery and root on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro and if everything is done correctly this process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes.