When you’re on the path of tinkering with your Android phone, the first step is to get the bootloader unlocked. In our previous few posts we helped you get the bootloader unlocked on a number of Xiaomi devices and now the turn to unlock bootloader of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max.
In a twisted tail, Xiaomi in India decided to launch three phones in the Note 9 series, the vanilla Note 9, Note 9 Pro and Note 9 Pro Max. While globally there are still two phones available, Note 9 and the Note 9 Pro. So if you’re outside of India, you could essentially use the same steps mentioned here to get the bootloader unlocked on your Note 9 series phone.
Running through the specs once, the Redmi Note 9 Pro Max is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G SoC and is available in three memory and RAM configurations. There is a 48MP Quad-camera module on the back and we see a modern center punch-hole display on the front. The phone on paper is solid and does justice in real-world usage as well.
Let us understand what a bootloader is and the reason why Xiaomi opted for locking it.
Why is Bootloader Locked on Xiaomi Smartphones?
Like with most OEMs the bootloader on the Xiaomi phones is a piece of code that restricts you from adding new code blocks to the OS. This is the first barrier that you need to cross, to start your journey with a custom ROM.
There was a time when Xiaomi used to encourage people to tinker with their phones and the bootloaders came unlocked right from the factory but things aren’t the same now. Most of the Xiaomi phones sold in the grey market carry unofficial ROMs containing bloatware. To mitigate this, the easiest solution for the brand was to lock the bootloader.
The other reason was to give the user option to track their phones in case of theft. Locking the bootloaders helps in making sure that a custom ROM is not easily flashed onto the phone. Hence making it difficult to sell off these stolen phones.
How To Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max
We would strongly recommend sticking to the instructions mentioned line by line, so you don’t end up with a bricked smartphone.
Things Required To Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot tools on Windows/Mac from here.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC from here.
- Download the latest Xiaomi Mi Unlock tool from here.
- You need Mi Account to get the authorization for bootloader unlocking, request that from here.
- Make sure the device is at least 60% charged.
- Back up all the important data as the process will fully reset the phone.
Steps To Unlock Redmi Note 9 Pro Max Bootloader
- Enable Developer Mode by heading to the Settings > About phone and Tap the MIUI version 7 times to enable developer mode.
- Now, Enable OEM Unlocking by going to the Settings> Additional Settings > Developer Option.
- Agree to the Mi Unlock Status in Settings >Additional Settings > Developer Option > Agree.
- Move to the Mi Unlock Site and click the “Unlock Now” button.
- Now, log in with your Mi Account, and if you don’t have one, you can then Signup on the same page.
- Enter your mobile number for an OTP.
- You will have to wait for some time to get the application accepted. It may take up to 72 hours to get the authorization, so patience is the key.
- Once the application is approved, you will receive an OTP.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool and extract the files to a folder.
- Now, boot the phone into the fastboot mode – to do this turn off the phone and then press and hold Volume Down + Power button for a few seconds to boot the device safely into the fastboot mode.
- Connect the phone to the PC.
- Open the MiFlashUnlock from the folder that you extracted and log in with the same ID as on your Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and enter your mobile number and start the process.
- Once done, reboot it from Mi Unlock Tool.
Conclusion – Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max
You have successfully unlock bootloader of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and if everything is done correctly this unlocking process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes. If you have encountered any problems, do let us know in the comments below.