One of the leading smartphones in Xiaomi’s arsenal is the Redmi Note 7 series. The brand sold upwards of a million of these mid-range phones. The series has been receiving quite a few updates lately and will get the MIUI 12 soon.
Since the phones were sold in huge numbers, there is a tight community out there of people looking to make tweaks to their devices. Developer forums out there are riddled with custom ROMs and the very first step in flashing those or making any modifications to the system needs an unlocked bootloader.
In this post, we will guide you through the process of getting the bootloader unlocked on your Redmi Note 7 Pro smartphone. But first, let us see the reason why Xiaomi opted for locking the bootloader.
Why is the Bootloader locked on Xiaomi phones?
There are a couple of reasons for this but we should know that decision of locking the bootloaders by Xiaomi is relatively new. If you look at previous devices, Xiaomi was once a brand that encouraged people to tinker with their products. But this backfired and people in the grey market stated selling Mi/Redmi phones with unofficial ROMs containing bloatware.
The other reason was to give the user option to track their phones in case of theft. Locking the bootloaders helps in making sure that a custom ROM is not easily flashed onto the phone. Hence making it difficult to sell off these stolen phones.
Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
We would strongly recommend sticking to the instructions mentioned line by line, so you don’t end up with a bricked smartphone.
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot tools on Windows/Mac from here.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC from here.
- Download the latest Xiaomi Mi Unlock tool from here.
- You need Mi Account to get the authorization for bootloader unlocking, request that from here.
- Make sure the device is at least 60% charged.
- Backup all the important data as the process will fully reset the phone.
Steps to Unlock Redmi Note 7 Pro Bootloader
- Enable Developer Mode by heading to the Settings > About phone and Tap the MIUI version 7 times to enable developer mode.
- Now, Enable OEM Unlocking by going to the Settings> Additional Settings > Developer Option.
- Agree to the Mi Unlock Status in Settings >Additional Settings > Developer Option > Agree.
- Move to the Mi Unlock Site and click the “Unlock Now” button.
- Now, log in with your Mi Account, and if you don’t have one, you can then Signup on the same page.
- Enter your mobile number for an OTP.
- You will have to wait for some time to get the application accepted. It may take up to 72 hours to get the authorization, so patience is the key.
- Once the application is approved, you will receive an OTP.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool and extract the files to a folder.
- Now, boot the phone into the fastboot mode – to do this turn off the phone and then press and hold Volume Down + Power button for a few seconds to boot the device safely into the fastboot mode.
- Connect the phone to the PC.
- Open the MiFlashUnlock from the folder that you extracted and log in with the same ID as on your Redmi Note 7 Pro, and enter your mobile number and start the process.
- Once done, Reboot it from Mi Unlock Tool.
You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro and if everything is done correctly this Unlocking process won’t take much more than a minute.