Want to install TWRP recovery on Redmi Note 7 Pro and root it? If yes, then you’re in right place. Before getting started, you must know that the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro was one of the hottest budget smartphones of 2019 and the brand did manage to sell close to a million units globally. The phone came out with Android 9 and was a few months back updated to Android 10. When it comes to software updates Xiaomi can’t be trusted, they for sure will give you two MIUI build updates but would shy away from updating the Android build.
This practice is very common in the budget segment despite the architecture changes that Google brought to Android a few years back. This is where flashing a custom recovery and then tinkering with your phone comes in. Custom Recovery is a GUI that comes in handy during the process of flashing ROMs and even rooting the phone. The most popular recovery for the Redmi Note 7 Pro is TWRP Recovery.
Going through the device first, the Redmi Note 7 Pro was the first budget smartphone from Redmi to sport the 48MP camera sensor. The phone has a Full HD+ dewdrop notch display and is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 SoC. There is a sizeable 4,000mAh battery and dual camera module on the back.
What is TWRP Recovery?
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project. It is an open-source and entirely GUI-based custom recovery for Android devices. The reason why it’s so popular is because of the fact that it allows Android users to enjoy fully touch-based UI and flash custom ROMs, MODs, Magisk, SuperSu, etc. There are further features like Full System backup that come in handy during these customization sessions.
EverythingXiaomi.com is not responsible for any kind of damage to data or devices while performing this task. Flashing a custom recovery voids the device’s warranty and might result in full data loss. You are proceeding at your own risk.
How To Install TWRP Recovery On Redmi Note 7 Pro
Before we start with the installation process, it is advised that you stick to the guide and follow the instructions line-by-line.
Pre-Requisites To Install TWRP on Redmi Note 7 Pro:
- Make sure the phone’s battery is charged above 60%.
- Backup your Data on any external media or perform a Nandroid backup.
- Download ADB and Fastboot Drivers on the PC/Laptop.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC
- Download and save twrp-3.4.0-0-violet.img it to the Extracted folder of ADB – Fastboot drivers.
- Unlocked Bootloader on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Steps To Install TWRP Recovery On Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
- You first need to have an unlocked bootloader on your Redmi Note 7 Pro, so if that’s not done, follow our guide here.
- Connect your phone to PC and look if the OEM Unlock is turned on from the developer settings.
- Extract ADB and Fastboot drivers in a folder and open the cmd or PowerShell by pressing Shift key + Right-Clicking in the same folder.
- Now type the following command [adb reboot bootloader] to reboot the Redmi Note 7 Pro into the fastboot mode (Note: You might get a USB debugging permission on your smartphone, so accept the pop-up).
- Now place the twrp-3.4.0-0.violet.img to the same folder where you have extracted the ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Type this [fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-0.violet.img] command to flash the TWRP image you download.
- After the successful flashing, reboot the phone using the [fastboot reboot] command.
You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro. Let us now flash the Magisk module to get root access on the phone.
How To Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Before we start this, make sure you download the latest version of Magisk from here and place the file on to the internal storage of your phone.
- It’s always recommended that you take a full backup of the phone but if you’re doing this immediately after installing TWRP recovery, there is no need to make a separate backup.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP recovery by pressing the volume up and power at the same while the phone is being turned on.
- Now, Select “Install” from the TWRP and browse for the Magisk.zip file. Tap on it to select it.
- Now, “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Upon successful installation, select “Install” once again and locate “no-verity-force-encrypt.zip” file. Tap it to select it.
- Again “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Reboot System from TWRP Recovery.
- With the first boot, you might see a Magisk app on your phone, this is how you will be able to check the root status and download and install Magisk Modules for your Redmi Note 7 Pro.
- If everything checks out till now, you should have root access on your phone.
- Just to double-check, you could install the Root Checker app from the play store which should reflect the root status.
You have successfully flashed a custom recovery and root on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro and if everything is done correctly this process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes.