It was just last we saw Xiaomi announce the Redmi Note 7 in India which had the Snapdragon 660 AIE SoC. The phone at the time was launched with MIUI 10 based on Android 9. Soon after the launch, the Note 7 was discontinued and replaced by the Note 7s.
The Note 7s was the exact same phone as the Note 7 with the change in the main camera sensor. In a bid to upgrade the phone, Xiaomi swapped the 12MP found on 7 to 48MP on Note 7s. Since both the phones are same under the hood, they also share the same codename, ‘lavender’, and get the same updates.
Xiaomi just today announced the availability of MIUI 12 for Note 7/7S for the Indian market and we will guide you through the whole manual installation process if you haven’t received the OTA yet.
The method we will be following here is the manual installation which is using the updater app. The process is simple, risk-free and you don’t need to unlock the bootloader or flash the ROM using a custom recovery.
MIUI 12 update on Redmi Note 7/7S
We would strongly recommend sticking to the instructions mentioned line by line, so you don’t end up with a bricked smartphone.
- You need to download the MIUI 12 files from here.
- Make sure the device is at least 60% charged.
- Backup all the important data as the process will fully reset the phone.
Procedure to install MIUI 12 using Recovery Method (Updater app)
- Download and transfer the MIUI 12 file into the internal storage of your phone.
- Make sure the battery is charged above 60%.
- Now on your phone, open the Settings app, and pull up the updater page.
- Tap on Menu (three dots) in the top right corner and select the Choose update package option.
- If you don’t see the option of choose package, tap multiple times on the MIUI 11 logo and it should work now.
- After getting into the Choose update package option, Select the MIUI 12 zip file and tap on OK.
- The phone should now initialize the package and start the flashing process.
- Post the initialization, you should see the phone reboot. The first boot can take some time so don’t panic.
If you have followed the above-mentioned steps accurately, your phone should boot with the latest MIUI 12 update. This new MIUI 12 update brings all-new design and animations along with new features such as Super Wallpapers, Floating Window, New Control Center, Enhanced Privacy Protection features such as Interceptor, Flare, Hidden Mask Mode and more.