In this blog post, we are going to guide you on how to install TWRP recovery and root Redmi Note 9 Pro smartphone. Xiaomi brought the Redmi Note 8 Pro successor the Redmi Note 9 Pro in the Indian market just a few months back. On paper, this new lineup features a set of similar specs with changes done to the optics.
The Note 9 Pro received the MIUI 12 update based on Android 11 a few days back which certainly has increased the performance a bit. In this post we would guide you through the process of installing a custom recovery on your phone, followed by rooting it. For people who want some tinkering done to their phones, they should first have the Boot loaders unlocked for which we have a guide here and secondly they should have a custom recovery flashed with root access.
Before we get into the guide, let us just explore the device first. The Redmi Note 9 Pro comes powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G processor and is available in a plethora of colors in the Indian market. The phone also comes in two memory configurations. There is a quad-rear camera setup with the main sensor being 48MP which is quite common these days on Xiaomi smartphones.
Apart from this, we get the latest MIUI 12 build based on Android 11. A 5,020mAh battery to juice the phone and its massive FHD+ display upfront with a center punch-hole for the selfie camera. We get support for fast charging which is a plus considering the massive battery this phone comes with.
What is TWRP Recovery?
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project. It is an open-source and entirely GUI-based custom recovery for Android devices. The reason why it’s so popular is because of the fact that it allows Android users to enjoy fully touch-based UI and flash custom ROMs, MODs, Magisk, SuperSu, etc. There are further features like Full System backup that come in handy during these customization sessions.
EverythingXiaomi.com is not responsible for any kind of damage to data or devices while performing this task. Flashing a custom recovery voids the device’s warranty and might result in full data loss. You are proceeding at your own risk.
How To Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 9 Pro
Before we start with the installation process, it is advised that you stick to the guide and follow the instructions line-by-line.
Pre-Requisites To Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro:
- Make sure the phone’s battery is charged above 60%.
- Back up your Data on any external media or perform a Nandroid backup.
- Download ADB and Fastboot Drivers on the PC/Laptop.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC
- Download and save twrp-3.4.0-0-Curtana.img it to the Extracted folder of ADB – Fastboot drivers.
- Unlocked Bootloader on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro
Steps To Install TWRP on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro
- You first need to have an unlocked bootloader on your Redmi Note 9 Pro, so if that’s not done, follow our guide here.
- Connect your phone to PC and look if the OEM Unlock is turned on from the developer settings.
- Extract ADB and Fastboot drivers in a folder and open the cmd or PowerShell by pressing Shift key + Right-Clicking in the same folder.
- Now type the following command [adb reboot bootloader] to reboot the Redmi Note 9 Pro into the fastboot mode (Note: You might get a USB debugging permission on your smartphone, so accept the pop-up).
- Now place the twrp-3.4.0-0.curtana.img to the same folder where you have extracted the ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Type this [fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-0.curtana.img] command to flash the TWRP image you download.
- After the successful flashing, reboot the phone using the [fastboot reboot] command.
You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro. The thing to note here is that this is an unofficial TWRP build made by individual developers and the build has not been vetted by the TWRP team.
So you can get some bugs upon installing it, so it is advised to take a full backup just in case things go sideways. Let us now flash the Magisk module to get root access on the phone.
How To Root Redmi Note 9 Pro
Before we start this, make sure you download the latest version of Magisk from here and place the file on to the internal storage of your phone. Below are the steps on how to root Redmi Note 9 Pro smartphone.
- It’s always recommended that you take a full backup of the phone but if you’re doing this immediately after installing TWRP recovery, there is no need to make a separate backup.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP recovery by pressing the volume up and power at the same while the phone is being turned on.
- Now, Select “Install” from the TWRP and browse for the Magisk.zip file. Tap on it to select it.
- Now, “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Upon successful installation, select “Install” once again and locate “no-verity-force-encrypt.zip” file. Tap it to select it.
- Again “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Reboot System from TWRP Recovery.
- With the first boot, you might see a Magisk app on your phone, this is how you will be able to check the root status and download and install Magisk Modules for your Redmi Note 9 Pro.
- If everything checks out till now, you should have root access on your phone.
- Just to double-check, you could install the Root Checker app from the play store which should reflect the root status.
You have successfully flashed a custom recovery and root Redmi Note 9 Pro and if everything is done correctly this process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes.