When you want to tinker with your phone, the first steps are perhaps to get the bootloader unlocked. In our previous posts, we did cover the unlocking process on a number of Xiaomi smartphones. The next step is to get a custom recovery installed or to install TWRP recovery. Custom Recovery is a GUI that comes in handy during the process of flashing ROMs and even rooting the phone.
There are a number of custom recoveries available nowadays depending on the smartphone model. For this guide, we choose TWRP for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7.
Before jumping to the guide, let’s explore the device first. The Redmi Note 7 came in as the replacement for the Redmi Note 6 series. From the get-go, the phone was hugely popular globally and Xiaomi even managed to sell upwards of a million devices. The phone brought a refreshed design, with the dew-drop notch, gorilla glass 5 on front & back, and fast charging.
What is TWRP Recovery?
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project. It is an open-source and entirely GUI-based custom recovery for Android devices. The reason why it’s so popular is because of the fact that it allows Android users to enjoy fully touch-based UI and flash custom ROMs, MODs, Magisk, SuperSu, etc. There are further features like Full System backup that come in handy during these customization sessions.
EverythingXiaomi.com is not responsible for any kind of damage to data or devices while performing this task. Flashing a custom recovery voids the device’s warranty and might result in full data loss. You are proceeding at your own risk.
How To Install TWRP Recovery On Redmi Note 7
Before we start with the installation process, it is advised that you stick to the guide and follow the instructions line-by-line.
Pre-Requisites To Install TWRP on Redmi Note 7
- Make sure the phone’s battery is charged above 60%.
- Back up your data on any external media or perform a Nandroid backup.
- Download ADB and Fastboot Drivers on the PC/Laptop.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC
- Download and save twrp-3.4.0-0-lavender.img it to the Extracted folder of ADB – Fastboot drivers.
- Unlocked Bootloader on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Steps To Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 7
- You first need to have an unlocked bootloader on your Redmi Note 7, so if that’s not done, follow our guide here.
- Connect your phone to PC and look if the OEM Unlock is turned on from the developer settings.
- Extract ADB and Fastboot drivers in a folder and open the cmd or PowerShell by pressing the Shift key + Right-Clicking in the same folder.
- Now type the following command [adb reboot bootloader] to reboot the Redmi Note 7 Pro into the fastboot mode (Note: You might get a USB debugging permission on your smartphone, so accept the pop-up).
- Now place the twrp-3.4.0-0.lavender.img to the same folder where you have extracted the ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Type this [fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-0.lavender.img] command to flash the TWRP image you download.
- After the successful flashing, reboot the phone using the [fastboot reboot] command.
You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 7. Let us now flash the Magisk module to get root access on the phone.
READ | How to install Pixel Experience custom ROM on Redmi Note 7
How To Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Before we start this, make sure you download the latest version of Magisk from here and place the file on to the internal storage of your phone.
- It’s always recommended that you take a full backup of the phone but if you’re doing this immediately after installing TWRP recovery, there is no need to make a separate backup.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP recovery by pressing the volume up and power at the same while the phone is being turned on.
- Now, Select “Install” from the TWRP and browse for the Magisk.zip file. Tap on it to select it.
- Now, “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Upon successful installation, select “Install” once again and locate the “no-verity-force-encrypt.zip” file. Tap it to select it.
- Again “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Reboot System from TWRP Recovery.
- With the first boot, you might see a Magisk app on your phone, this is how you will be able to check the root status and download and install Magisk Modules for your Redmi Note 7.
- If everything checks out till now, you should have root access on your phone.
- Just to double-check, you could install the Root Checker app from the Google Play Store which should reflect the root status.
You have successfully flashed a custom recovery (install TWRP recovery) and root on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 and if everything is done correctly this process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes.