Much like the Poco flagships, the Poco F1 and F2, their mid-range phones are also proving to be value for money. We have covered the Poco X2 and the Poco M2 Pro in the past and today we bring a useful post to tweak your POCO X3 as well. Unlike the Poco X2 which had its hardware inspiration taken from the Redmi k30 series, the Poco X3 is a ground-up build product. For starters it is the very first phone to feature a new Qualcomm chip, has a distinctive design language, and manages to keep all the important features that made the previous gen X2 a success.
Like our previous guides, in this one too we would guide you through the steps to install a custom recovery on your Poco X3 followed by getting Root access using the Magisk module.
Before we get into the flashing guide, let’s explore the device. The Poco X3 has an all-new design with a center punch-hole on the front and a circular camera module on the back. The phone is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 732G which is an overclocked Snapdragon 730G. The phone is sold in two color choices and three memory configurations. There is a quad-rear camera setup with the main sensor being 64MP similar to what we say on Poco X2.
Apart from this, we get the MIUI 12 based on Android 10. A 6,000mAh battery to juice the phone and its massive FHD+ display upfront that has a 120Hz refresh rate We get support for fast charging which is a plus considering the massive battery this phone comes with.
READ | Redmi Note 10 Pro vs POCO X3
What is TWRP recovery?
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project. It is an open-source and entirely GUI-based custom recovery for Android devices. The reason why it’s so popular is because of the fact that it allows Android users to enjoy fully touch-based UI and flash custom ROMs, MODs, Magisk, SuperSu, etc. There are further features like Full System backup that come in handy during these customization sessions.
EverythingXiaomi.com is not responsible for any kind of damage to data or devices while performing this task. Flashing a custom recovery voids the device’s warranty and might result in full data loss. You are proceeding at your own risk.
How To Install TWRP Recovery on POCO X3
Before we start with the installation process, it is advised that you stick to the guide and follow the instructions line-by-line.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is charged above 60%.
- Backup your Data on any external media or perform a Nandroid backup.
- Download ADB and Fastboot Drivers on the PC/Laptop.
- Download latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC
- Download and save twrp-3.4.0-0.img it to the Extracted folder of ADB – Fastboot drivers.
- Unlocked Bootloader on the Poco X3
Steps To Install TWRP Recovery on POCO X3
- You first need to have an unlocked bootloader on your Poco X3, so if that’s not done, follow our guide for the same.
- Connect your phone to PC and look if the OEM Unlock is turned on from the developer settings.
- Extract ADB and Fastboot drivers in a folder and open the cmd or PowerShell by pressing Shift key + Right-Clicking in the same folder.
- Now type the following command [adb reboot bootloader] to reboot the Poco X3 into the fastboot mode (Note: You might get a USB debugging permission on your smartphone, so accept the pop-up).
- Now place the twrp-3.4.0-0.img to the same folder where you have extracted the ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Type this [fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-0.img] command to flash the TWRP image you download.
- After the successful flashing, reboot the phone using the [fastboot reboot] command.
You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on Poco X3. The thing to note here is that this is an unofficial TWRP build made by individual developers and the build has not been vetted by the TWRP team. So you can get some bugs upon installing it, and it is advised to take a full backup just in case things go sideways. Let us now flash the Magisk module to get root access on the phone.
How To Root POCO X3 Smartphone
Before we start this, make sure you download the latest version of Magisk from here and place the file on to the internal storage of your phone.
- Its always recommended that you take a full backup of phone but if you’re doing this immediately after install TWRP recovery, there is no need to make a separate backup.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP recovery by pressing the volume up and power at the same while the phone is being turned on.
- Now, Select “Install” from the TWRP and browse for the Magisk.zip file. Tap on it to select it.
- Now, “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Upon successful installation, select “Install” once again and locate “no-verity-force-encrypt.zip” file. Tap it to select it.
- Again “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Reboot System from TWRP Recovery.
- With the first boot, you might see a Magisk app on your phone, this is how you will be able to check the root status and download and install Magisk Modules for your Poco X3.
- If everything checks out till now, you should have root access on your phone.
- Just to double-check, you could install the Root Checker app from the playstore which should reflect the root status.
You have successfully flashed a custom recovery and root on your Poco X3 and if everything is done correctly this process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes.