Redmi has been working round the clock to push MIUI 12 updates to their smartphones. We saw phones like the Redmi Note 7 series, Note 9 series recently receive the update, and now it’s time for the Redmi 9 Prime.
At the time of launch, the phone came with MIUI 11 based on Android 10 and is now all set to receive the new MIUI 12 based on Android 10. Sadly we won’t be seeing the Android 11 update here anytime soon. Before we jump to the guide, let’s explore the device. The Redmi 9 Prime sits between the Redmi 9 and the Redmi Note 9. The phone is powered by the MediaTek Helio G80 processor along with 4GB of RAM and up to 128GB of storage.
We have a 6.53-inch Full HD+ LCD panel on the front with a dewdrop notch. The phone is available in a plethora of colors and there is a massive 5,020mAh battery with support for up to 18W fast charging. In terms of optics, we get a Quad camera module on the back with a 13-megapixel main sensor, an 8-megapixel ultra-wide-lens, a 5-megapixel macro, and a 2-megapixel depth sensor. On the front, the selfies are handled by an 8-megapixel sensor.
The stable update was announced recently and will be rolling out in phases and you might get the OTA at a later date. For people looking to try out the update early, we will guide you through the whole manual installation process if you haven’t received the OTA yet.
The method we will be following here is the manual installation which is using the updater app. The process is simple, risk-free and you don’t need to unlock the bootloader or flash the ROM using a custom recovery.
MIUI 12 update on Redmi 9 Prime
We would strongly recommend sticking to the instructions mentioned line by line, so you don’t end up with a bricked smartphone.
- You need to download the MIUI 12 files from here.
- Make sure the device is at least 60% charged.
- Backup all the important data as the process will fully reset the phone.
Procedure to install MIUI 12 using Recovery Method (Updater app)
- Download and transfer the MIUI 12 file into the internal storage of your phone.
- Make sure the battery is charged above 60%.
- Now on your phone, open the Settings app, and pull up the updater page.
- Tap on Menu (three dots) in the top right corner and select the Choose update package option.
- If you don’t see the option to choose a package, tap multiple times on the MIUI 11 logo and it should work now.
- After getting into the Choose update package option, Select the MIUI 12 zip file and tap on OK.
- The phone should now initialize the package and start the flashing process.
- Post the initialization, you should see the phone reboot. The first boot can take some time so don’t panic.
If you have followed the above-mentioned steps accurately, your phone should boot with the latest MIUI 12 update. This new MIUI 12 update brings all-new design and animations along with new features such as Super Wallpapers, Floating Window, New Control Center, Enhanced Privacy Protection features such as Interceptor, Flare, Hidden Mask Mode, and more.