Redmi Note series has been the best seller for the brand and has even broken sales records globally. With the Note series, Redmi has introduced nifty features in each iteration.
We saw the Note 7 series packing the 48MP camera, followed by the 64MP on Note 8 Pro and Quad setup on the Note 9 series and now the 108MP camera on the Note 10 Pro Max. One thing that the Note 10 also has is a gorgeous design which makes it punch over its weight. While lately for its budget smartphones, Redmi is offering timely updates but you still need some wiggle room. This is where unlocking the bootloader comes in.
But before we jump into it, let’s back up and see what the new Note 10 offers. The phone packs a 6.43-inch Full HD+ AMOLED panel with a company claimed peak brightness of 1100 nits. Under the hood, the phone is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 678 processor which is a relatively newer chip in the Snapdragon 600 series. Note 10 comes in a variety of variants with up to 6GB LPDDR4X RAM and up to 128GB of UFS2.2 storage. It runs on the latest Android 11 build with MIUI 12 on top.
There is a quad-camera setup on the back with a 48MP main sensor and 13MP selfie shooter tucked away in the center punch-hole. There is a pair of stereo speakers with HiRes audio support, a relatively large 5,000mAh battery with support for 33W fast charging, and a glass sandwich design. All of this offered at a very competitive price, effectively knocking the competition quite hard.
Lets us now figure out what a Bootloader is and why Redmi chooses to lock it.
Bootloader and Why it is locked on Redmi phones?
The bootloader on Redmi phones or in general is a piece of code that restricts you from adding new code blocks to the OS. This is the first barrier that you need to cross, to start your journey with a custom ROM or any sort of tinkering.
Xiaomi has been quite supportive of using custom ROMs on their phones and in the past used to ship all their smartphones with an unlocked bootloader. This decision was reversed when the grey marketers started shipping Xiaomi phones out of China with malicious apps and OS jeopardizing the brand’s image and potential user experience.
The other reason for a locked bootloader is that it helps in making sure that a custom ROM is not easily flashed onto the phone. Hence making it difficult to sell off these stolen phones.
Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 10
We would strongly recommend sticking to the instructions mentioned line by line, so you don’t end up with a bricked smartphone.
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot tools on Windows/Mac from here.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC from here.
- Download the latest Xiaomi Mi Unlock tool from here.
- You need Mi Account to get the authorization for bootloader unlocking, request that from here.
- Make sure the device is at least 60% charged.
- Backup all the important data as the process will fully reset the phone.
Procedure to Unlock Redmi Note 10 Bootloader
- Enable Developer Mode by heading to the Settings > About phone and Tap the MIUI version 7 times to enable developer mode.
- Now, Enable OEM Unlocking by going to the Settings> Additional Settings > Developer Option.
- Agree to the Mi Unlock Status in Settings >Additional Settings > Developer Option > Agree.
- Move to the Mi Unlock Site and click the “Unlock Now” button.
- Now, log in with your Mi Account, and if you don’t have one, you can then Signup on the same page.
- Enter your mobile number for an OTP.
- You will have to wait for some time to get the application accepted. It may take up to 72 hours to get the authorization, so patience is the key.
- Once the application is approved, you will receive an OTP.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool and extract the files to a folder.
- Now, boot the phone into the fastboot mode – to do this turn off the phone and then press and hold Volume Down + Power button for a few seconds to boot the device safely into the fastboot mode.
- Connect the phone to the PC.
- Open the MiFlashUnlock from the folder that you extracted and log in with the same ID as on your Redmi Note 10 and enter your mobile number and start the process.
- Once done, reboot it from Mi Unlock Tool.
If everything is done correctly this Unlocking process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes and you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of Redmi Note 10.