Until a few years back, Xiaomi used to be cool about custom ROMs and third-party development for their products. They used to support developers and the smartphones come with an unlocked bootloader. Things have now been shifted due to the surge in malware-invested ROMs for these devices.
To felicitate the boot loader unlock process, Xiaomi released the Mi Unlock Tool. It is the primary tool that users have to use before rooting or installing any custom ROM on Xiaomi phones. Apart from making sure that of the fact that Xiaomi phones don’t come with malware-infested out-of-the-box, Xiaomi also locked the bootloader to track the device in case of theft.
Mi Unlock tool is the one-stop solution to getting the phone’s bootloader unlocked further opening the road for the rooting process. Using the tool is fairly simple and straightforward. In this guide, we will take you through the process of getting the bootloader unlocked, so make sure you follow the guide efficiently.
Let us understand what a bootloader is and the reason why Xiaomi opted for locking it.
Why is the Bootloader locked on Xiaomi phones?
Like with most OEMs the bootloader on the Xiaomi phones is a piece of code that restricts you from adding new code blocks to the OS. This is the first barrier that you need to cross, to start your journey with a custom ROM. The Mi Unlock Tool v4.5.5is the latest version, available for all the Xiaomi devices including the new Redmi Note 10 series and all new devices.
How To Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi, Redmi, and POCO Phones
We would strongly recommend sticking to the instructions mentioned line by line, so you don’t end up with a bricked smartphone.
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot tools on Windows/Mac from here.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC from here.
- Download the latest Xiaomi Mi Unlock tool from here.
- You need Mi Account to get the authorization for bootloader unlocking, request that from here.
- Make sure the device is at least 60% charged.
- Back up all the important data as the process will fully reset the phone.
Steps To Unlock the Bootloader
- Enable Developer Mode by heading to the Settings > About phone and Tap the MIUI version 7 times to enable developer mode.
- Now, Enable OEM Unlocking by going to the Settings> Additional Settings > Developer Option.
- Agree to the Mi Unlock Status in Settings >Additional Settings > Developer Option > Agree.
- Move to the Mi Unlock Site and click the “Unlock Now” button.
- Now, log in with your Mi Account, and if you don’t have one, you can then Signup on the same page.
- Enter your mobile number for an OTP.
- You will have to wait for some time to get the application accepted. It may take up to 72 hours to get the authorization, so patience is the key.
- Once the application is approved, you will receive an OTP.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool and extract the files to a folder.
- Now, boot the phone into the fastboot mode – to do this turn off the phone and then press and hold Volume Down + Power button for a few seconds to boot the device safely into the fastboot mode.
- Connect the phone to the PC.
- Open the MiFlashUnlock from the folder that you extracted and log in with the same ID as on your Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and enter your mobile number and start the process.
- Once done, reboot it from Mi Unlock Tool.
You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of the phone and if everything is done correctly this Unlocking process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes.