Xiaomi came out with a range of banger products this year and one of them was their flagship smartphone series Xiaomi Mi 10 5G. The phone just like previous Xiaomi phones was a hit at first in the Chinese market and got a similar treating globally as well.
Xiaomi Mi 10 5G also became the testing ground for Xiaomi and opened up the brand to a lot more markets including a flagship coming back to India. The phone has an excellent design and build and is one of the first phones in the market to feature the 108MP Samsung GM1 sensor. This is one of the largest mobile camera sensors we have commercially available and over time has given tremendous results.
While the Mi 10 5G is the flagship for the brand this year, we wouldn’t pass on the opportunity of tinkering with our phones given the potential they have. For this exact reason, we bring to you our guide on how to install TWRP custom recovery as well as rooting the phone.
But before jumping into the guide, let us explore the phone. The Xiaomi Mi 10 5G is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 SoC, comes in a bunch of colors and memory configurations. It is also one of those handfuls of phones that have the new LPDDR5 RAM and UFS 3 spec storage. We get to see a gorgeous Samsung-made AMOLED panel on the front with a Full HD+ resolution and 90Hz refresh rate.
Also present is a decently sized battery with support for fast charging, wireless charging, and reverse wireless charging. Moving to the optics, we have a quad-camera setup on the back with the main sensor being the much-touted 108MP camera, assisted with a combination of telephoto and wide lenses.
What is TWRP Recovery?
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project. It is an open-source and entirely GUI-based custom recovery for Android devices. The reason why it’s so popular is because of the fact that it allows Android users to enjoy fully touch-based UI and flash custom ROMs, MODs, Magisk, SuperSu, etc. There are further features like Full System backup that come in handy during these customization sessions.
EverythingXiaomi.com is not responsible for any kind of damage to data or devices while performing this task. Flashing a custom recovery voids the device’s warranty and might result in full data loss. You are proceeding at your own risk.
How To Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 10 5G
Before we start with the installation process, it is advised that you stick to the guide and follow the instructions line-by-line.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is charged above 60%.
- Back up your Data on any external media or perform a Nandroid backup.
- Download ADB and Fastboot Drivers on the PC/Laptop.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on the PC
- Download and save twrp-3.4.0-9.img it to the Extracted folder of ADB – Fastboot drivers.
- Unlocked Bootloader on the Xiaomi Mi 10 5G
How To Install TWRP on Xiaomi Mi 10 5G
- You first need to have an unlocked bootloader on your Xiaomi Mi 10 5G, so if that’s not done, follow our guide for the same.
- Connect your phone to PC and look if the OEM Unlock is turned on from the developer settings.
- Extract ADB and Fastboot drivers in a folder and open the cmd or PowerShell by pressing the Shift key + Right-Clicking in the same folder.
- Now type the following command [adb reboot bootloader] to reboot the Xiaomi Mi 10 5G into the fastboot mode (Note: You might get a USB debugging permission on your smartphone, so accept the pop-up).
- Now place the twrp-3.4.0-9.img to the same folder where you have extracted the ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Type this [fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-0.img] command to flash the TWRP image you download.
- After the successful flashing, reboot the phone using the [fastboot reboot] command.
You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 10 5G. The thing to note here is that this is an unofficial TWRP build made by individual developers and the build has not been vetted by the TWRP team. So you can get some bugs upon installing it, and it is advised to take a full backup just in case things go sideways. Let us now flash the Magisk module to get root access on the phone.
How To Root Xiaomi Mi 10 5G
Before we start this, make sure you download the latest version of Magisk from here and place the file on to the internal storage of your phone.
- Its always recommended that you take a full backup of the phone but if you’re doing this immediately after installing TWRP recovery, there is no need to make a separate backup.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP recovery by pressing the volume up and power at the same while the phone is being turned on.
- Now, Select “Install” from the TWRP and browse for the Magisk.zip file. Tap on it to select it.
- Now, “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Upon successful installation, select “Install” once again and locate the “no-verity-force-encrypt.zip” file. Tap it to select it.
- Again “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
- Reboot System from TWRP Recovery.
- With the first boot, you might see a Magisk app on your phone, this is how you will be able to check the root status and download and install Magisk Modules for your Xiaomi Mi 10 5G.
- If everything checks out till now, you should have root access on your phone.
- Just to double-check, you could install the Root Checker app from the play store which should reflect the root status.
You have successfully flashed a custom recovery and root on your Xiaomi Mi 10 5G and if everything is done correctly this process won’t take much more than a couple of minutes.